Click Here For Free Blog Templates!!!
Blogaholic Designs

Saturday, August 4, 2012

The Beginnings of a Good Knight

Have you missed me?  I know, me too.  This summer has been a hectic one.  I live in Colorado Springs and we've seen damaging hailstorms (yes I need a new roof), an epic firestorm that burned 346 homes, and now mudslides and flooding on the burn scar have become a major problem.  That's a lot.

You may remember my daughter was diagnosed with asthma a few months ago and well, smoke isn't good for her.  So when the wildfire moved into town and started burning down homes, along with it being very scary and stressful, the air quality became dangerous.  We needed to move up our vacation.  So we hopped in the car and drove to NC to visit my family (then I got to sneak off for a week in Italy with James).  While I've been enjoying the travel this summer, I haven't been crafting.  Anyway, I'm back now and feeling inspired to craft things again. 

You know how you get an idea in your head and completely drop everything else to start working on it? Yeah, that was me yesterday.  We got a birthday party invitation for a sweet almost 5 year old we know.  It's a Knight and Princess party and I immediately became all sorts of consumed with making a knight costume.  (We've got the princess thing covered already) I found all sorts of amazing inspiration online for chain mail, helmets, armor, sword, scabbard, and shields.  Here's where I started...



Knitted chain mail arm bracers.



Now I am still just a beginning knitter and I wanted these to be quick and easy.  Could they be done in the round?  Of course.  But I went with a rectangle that gets sewn together on the long side.  Easy.

For my 6 year old (who is on the small side - but don't tell him I said that) I used US13's and loosely cast on 30 stitches.  Then I just did the garter stitch until it was about 5 inches long un-stretched.  Bind it off leaving a long tail and sew the long edges together.  Done!  This was so simple and so fast and I'm not a very fast knitter yet.

I think we'll do this costume together in stages...

Back on the crafting wagon,

Kristin

4 comments:

Corduroy Fish said...

Very cool! I can't wait to see the whole thing!

Jessa said...

This. Is. Amazing.

Unknown said...

Were you able to install a new roof already? Start right by keeping it regularly maintained and clean as much as possible. And yes, I totally know what you’re talking about! :) It’s like you just don’t want to lose the ideas that enter your mind, and you should do it that instant. Haha! Anyway, your knitted chain mail arm bracers look like they were made by a pro! Kudos! :)

Lakisha Autin

Yolanda said...

What stitch did you do for the chainmail? I have been wanting to crochet a chainmail shirt for my husband but I haven't found a stitch that resembles it as well as yours does. I made him a knight helmet already but just did a double crochet stitch for it. Thank you for your help and keep up the good work.

Post a Comment